Entrepreneurship is known for being pretty uncertain at the best of times.
There’s no set career path and definitely no guarantee of return on investment. So, why would anyone choose to become an entrepreneur? Because, when it all clicks, it’s magic – the best and most rewarding “job” you’ll ever have. And the reason you’ll spring out of bed in the morning!
Just ask these 16 incredible entrepreneurs. If you’re looking for inspiration, these international success stories have plenty to say about starting your own business – and growing it.
1. “It isn’t possible to create anything of scale beyond one person without first recognizing the need and then asking for help.”
– Michelle Duval, Founder & CEO of Fingerprint for Success.
2. “The question I ask myself like almost every day is, 'Am I doing the most important thing I could be doing?'”
– Mark Zuckerberg, Co-Founder of Facebook.
3. "The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."
– Vidal Sassoon, Co-Founder of Paul Mitchell Systems.
4. “It is hard to visualize someone as a leader if she is always waiting to be told what to do.”
– Sheryl Sandberg, Founder of LeanIn.org
5. “There’s lots of bad reasons to start a company. But there’s only one good, legitimate reason, and I think you know what it is: it’s to change the world.”
– Phil Libin, CEO of Evernote.
6. “If you can help your people have clarity of what their role is, they can achieve amazing things – particularly when the entrepreneur empowers them with responsibility.”
– Creel Price, CEO of Investible.
7. “If you don’t have time for the small things, you won’t have time for the big things.”
– Richard Branson, Founder of the Virgin Group.
8. "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.”
– Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company.
9. “Chase the vision, not the money. The money will end up following you.”
– Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos.
10. “Always deliver more than expected.”
– Larry Page, Co-Founder of Google.
11. “Fearlessness is not the absence of fear. It’s the mastery of fear.”
– Arianna Huffington, Co-Founder of The Huffington Post.
12. “Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?”
– Steve Jobs, Co-Founder of Apple Inc.
13. "[My biggest mistake is probably] weighing too much on someone's talent and not someone's personality. I think it matters whether someone has a good heart."
– Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX, Tesla Inc. and Neuralink.
14. “If money is your first thought when you wake up, you need to dream bigger.”
– Lisa Messenger, CEO of Collective Hub.
15. “Make your team feel respected, empowered, and genuinely excited about the company’s mission.”
– Tim Westergren, Co-Founder of Pandora Radio.
16. “If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito.”
– Anita Roddick, Founder of The Body Shop.